Sunday, October 30, 2011

Journey to the past

Just as the colors of the leaves started to change two of my assistants had to leave but I am not going to dwell on that because I now know it comes with the territory and life can always be worse. I had a wonderful opportunity to speak to an organization that used to help me when I was little. I felt really greatful and honored to be able to have this experience because when I speak in front of large groups I am hopefully helping families see that with the right supports almost anything can be done! Here is the speach.

Hello, my name is Jessica Martin.

[PAUSE]

As you know Lekotek makes the world of play accessible to children with disabilities by providing adaptive books, toys, and computer equipment.

[PAUSE]

My family and I participated in Compuplay in 1990, when I was 4 years old, where we could play together as a family and with other children with toys and computer equipment.

[PAUSE]

During one of these play sessions I was asked to be part of the video you just saw being produced by Lekotec explaining their mission.

[PAUSE]

When I was asked what I liked best about Lekotec, I said “I like the computer because it talks to me.”

[PAUSE]

I credit Lekotec for propelling me to strive to achieve my fullest potential- because it focused on what I could do.

[PAUSE]

Little did I know how helpful this tool would be later in my life.

[PAUSE]

Because I have focal dystonia in my eyes, a movement disorder due to my cerebral palsy, I often lose my place while reading.

[PAUSE]

Tonight I am going to talk about my boyfriend “Alex” and some of the adaptive software that has helped me become more independent over the years.

[PAUSE]

Having a computer with the ability to talk to me, a feature that I thought was merely “cool” when I was a 4 year old girl, became indispensable to me as an adult.

[PAUSE]
Not only is it “still cool”, but it is now a key to my independence!

[PAUSE]

Now that I am working and living on my own, I mostly use co-writer.

[PAUSE]

It helps me to type emails, to communicate via Facebook, and maintain a blog like any other young adult.

[PAUSE]

For example, the other day I was on Facebook and I said to myself

[PAUSE] “This looks interesting” [PAUSE] but I couldn’t really read it.

[PAUSE]

So I asked “Alex” to read it to me.

[PAUSE]

The article on Facebook mentioned courses I could take so that I could become a certified Life Coach.

[PAUSE]

I was so grateful that my computer could read it to me because I am really interested in getting my certification as a Life Coach. [PAUSE]

Being able to read about Life Coaching programs and other programs online

[PAUSE] ultimately will open new doors for me [PAUSE]-whether it be more education or a new career.

[PAUSE]

I am forever blessed to have different types of technology in my life

[PAUSE]

because without them, I would not be able to communicate efficiently with my friends who use communication devices.

[PAUSE]

I want to help people who use communication devices because I believe everyone should be heard!

[PAUSE-closing]

Finally, I have to thank “My boyfriend Alex” the voice on my computer who makes it talk to me and never lets me down!

[PAUSE]

Without him I wouldn’t be able to communicate with the world and have my independence.

[PAUSE]

As you can tell I still like my computer because it talks to me and I thank Lecotec for allowing me to experience the world of play and for the opportunity to speak in front of you tonight.

With all of my gratitude and a very fun Halloween!

-Jessi


No comments: