Friday, July 24, 2015

Making History!

The date was July 17, 2015, the day before the Disability Pride Parade. It was also my Nana's 80th Birthday. This was something I was looking forward to all year. I decided to sleep in that day because I knew I had an important speech downtown that night and I wanted to have lots of energy.  The speech was something that I had mentioned in a prior blog post called "Do You See Me?" As part of the Disability Pride Celebration of the ADA 25th Anniversary, I decided to give this speech as part of a poetry slam held at the First Methodist Church. I felt like it was a success and I made an impact on people.  This is the reason I do what I do. I was very happy with myself because I memorized most of my speech, which is a skill I have been personally working on ever since I started Toastmasters.  I knew I had to contain my excitement because I had a performance in the morning as well as my fellow dancers would be expecting me to do my best. However, that night after the speech, I had a difficult time sleeping because it was very hot outside and when it gets extremely hot or cold outside, I have a difficult time breathing. This made me nervous. The next day was very important to me but before I knew it the alarm clock read 6:59am and I had to get up. I made sure I ate a big breakfast which is rare for a "non breakfast loving person." On the way to the parade I listened to all of my favorite music so that I could be all pumped up and ready to go. My playlist was a mixture of pop, country and inspirational songs that I knew would motivate me for the rest of the day.  On my way to the parade, I saw a guy who was at the poetry slam the night before. He said,"Hey Jessica Martin! Good job last night!" This made me feel pumped up and ready to go.  Then before I could think about anything else, it was time to line up and make history. I would be making history that day because we were celebrating 25 Years of the Americans with Disabilities Act or the ADA. The whole time I was squealing with delight.  Then after what seemed to be forever, it was time for Momenta to join the parade. One of my friends said, "Jess you are so excited, we are just walking down the street!"  What she didn't realize was in that moment we were making history!   After the parade we waited a long time and it was our turn.  The music went on and I was in my element.  The energy in the crown was indescribable. I was so happy.  Before I knew it the group piece was over and it was time for me to do my solo. My friends helped me with my costume change and I got into place and that was it!  It felt like a dream.  I was nervous but it was all okay.  I usually don't get religious in my posts but after a while I forgot about the crowd and I listened to the music and I could feel G-d's presence. It was wonderful. My only regret was not dancing with my friend Maddy this year.  We talked about it and we hope to dance together soon I was feeling good about the parade. That was until today...

One of my teachers was at the parade and saw my performance. She asked me if I want to perform at Counter Balance. This is another history making celebration of the ADA 25th Anniversary at the National Museum of Mexican Art on Sept 19 at 2pm.  I still can't believe it!! I feel like I just got accepted to Juilliard!! 

Even though I am finished with this Blog, I will never forget where it all started. Thank you for your love and support. With lots of love and gratitude, 
-Jessi

No comments: