Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Baby Steps

Today marks the day of my second anniversary at the purple pad. I have definitely gone through several bumps. But, it has made me a stronger person. I have had to change a number of assistants. I have had to deal with having a room mate and not having one. I graduated from Oakton Community College and dealt with the realization about not being able to go to Northeastern this fall. But, throughout this whole experience. I have been reminded about a bracelet that my mom had given me. Its so eloquently reads." Its all about the journey not the destination." My journey has allowed me to stay in this apartment for two years with people who care about me and support me in my everyday life. Even though it has been two years. I am still amazed that this has become a reality for me. When, I first moved in. I felt like a little seed that was ready to grow. But, not sure of myself. Now, with the experiences that I have had in these past two years. I feel like I am able to do more things. With the help of this blog and the fact that I care about people. Another, one of my dreams has come true. I am beginning to motivate and mentor people that are less fortunate then myself. So, that their dreams of living independently or just their dreams in general can become a reality. Its all about the baby steps and that is how I got here. It was no magic pill or no magic fairy. It was just the love and support from my family, friends and readers. That helped me to be where I am today. I would like to also dedicate this post to my uncle Eddie and aunt Sherri in honor of his birthday. Thank you for being my most avid readers. Also, thank you mom for making sure my chair keeps rolling. I would like to end with this quote that I got from my friend Scott Crane. "It's not the disability that defines you, it's how you deal with the challenges the disability presents you with. We have an obligation to the abilities we DO have, not the disability". - Jim Abbott


Home Sweet Home
Jess

1 comment:

avremel and chava said...

Jessi, you are truly an inspiration!! I love reading your posts. Can't wait to see you soon:)